Designed by Arthur Harrison, it was officially opened January 16, 1908 by the wife of the Pastor of Carrs Lane Church, John Henry Jowett, as an institutional church attached to Carr's Lane Congregational Church.
In 1954, the building was put up for sale by the trustees as they felt the building was not needed for its originally intended use. It was bought by Birmingham City Council in 1955 and became the Civic Hall.
From the late 1950s and early 1960s it started its now long history of becoming a place for live music event housing the Midland Jazz club.
In its time, it has gone though many owners and changed its name, but without a doubt it is Digbeth a place to go for up bands to play for a small audience holding maximum of 2,000-capacity in the main auditorium called "The Institute” out of three room venue which has a seated upper balcony, the downstairs room which holds up to 600 people called 'O2 Institute.
Its, a big couple’s night out, there is a surprise for both lovers, Our Lady and her mate have brought tickets for their sweethearts. All they know they are going out on a romantic night on the town as they approach the Institute, the ladies turn around to their sweethearts and tell them of their big surprise.
She has made him so delighted he sweeps her off her feet Our Lady, has made him so happy, it’s the band he always wanted to see live, now they are off to the Institute.
ARTWORK CURRENTLY ON SHOW AT KINGS HEATH, ALL SAINTS CENTRE CAFE GALLERY