The story of the Birmingham and Fazeley begins in 1770, when the Birmingham Canal Company was seen as having a monopoly.
Two bills were put before Parliament in 1782, one for the Birmingham and Fazeley, and a rival one from the Birmingham Canal for a branch from Wednesbury to Walsall. Both sides opposed the other's proposal, and both bills were defeated. The promoters then opened negotiations with other canal companies, to ensure that when the canal was built, it would be part of a larger network. In 1782, they obtained an agreement from the Oxford Canal Company that they would complete the route to the River Thames at Oxford, one from the Coventry Canal that they would extend their canal from Atherstone to Fazeley, and agreed that they would complete the Coventry Canal's route from Fazeley as far as Whittington.
A second bill was put before Parliament, and at the same time, the Birmingham Canal presented a scheme for a canal from Riders Green to Broadwaters, near Walsall, with eight branches, and a second canal from Newhall to Fazeley. The Birmingham and Fazeley was authorised by an Act of Parliament obtained in 1784. The new company and the Birmingham Canal merged soon afterwards, becoming the awkwardly named Birmingham & Birmingham & Fazeley Canal Company.
If you would like more information on the history of this canal why not look at the website https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birmingham_and_Fazeley_Canal
The Gun Quarter was built around the canals this enable the arms industry transport of goods via Fazeley Canal to be transported to London. Many of the canals linking to Fazeley Canal and Digbeth Canals are now lost for development of Birmingham City road transport.
The title of this painting Birmingham Lads, the Tune was written as "Warwickshire Lads. Verse written in 1780 to mark the opening of the Birmingham Canal in 1769. I thought it was appropriate to mark the history of the Gun Quarter for the start of the industrial resolution
Our Lady is taking a walk along the canal a much more pleasant route to walk though Birmingham towards the pub where Our Lady is meeting her sweetheart in the Gun Makers Arms